Grenfell is a Town full of original homes, businesses and churches. This is a guide to all of the Historic Buildings in Grenfell, courtesy the Grenfell Heritage Walking Tour guide which can be purchased at the Town Office.
Lutheran Country Church
919 Qu'Appelle Street
Originally located atop the Tiree Hill, north of Grenfell, the Peace Lutheran Church was moved to its present location in 1960 to become the current Grenfell Revival Centre.
J.A. Sutherland House
800 Pacific Street
In 1893 James founded the Masonic Lodge in Grenfell, and was the first Worshipful Master. Mr. Sutherland lived in this cottage-style house built in 1905.
1209 Front Avenue
Concealed behind a more modern façade is an imposing structure 60x66 feet built in 1896 of granite stone by Mr. Robert A. Copeland. The stones for the Hotel were gathered from farmland near Brown Hill School.
Claxton Bros Store
717 Desmond Street
O.P. Skrine built the original 60x80 feet two-storey corner store of solid field stone in 1894. On December 24, 1935 a fire ravaged the two-storey structure, but through rural perseverance and customer support a new fully modern building was opened August 1936.
Cam's Drug Store
725 Desmond Street
Masked behind the metal clad siding of R&M Water Shop, is a gable roof building built in 1897 of common brick. The north side of the main floor was home to various ventures including a recreational meeting spot for young men, a beauty shop, and pharmacy.
722 Desmond Street
This large fieldstone building was erected in 1897 and operated as the Grenfell Drug Store for many years.
Hutchinson Block Tyron- Coy Building
735 Desmond Street
It was estimated that 30 cords of stone would be required to build this structure. Built in 1901, the building was home to C.R. Tryon and Co's Bank, Mr. Coy's Harness, Boot and Shoe Emporium and Mrs. Coy's millinery business over the years.
807 Anderson Street
Builder and carpenter Mr. James Arthur Duprau built this house in 1896 for his family.
Dr. Argue's House
806 Anderson Street
Dr. Argue and his family lived in this common brick veneer house, built in 1910.
Massey Jack's House
802 Anderson Street
This two-storey turreted house with cedar siding was built in 1909. John M. McDonald and his family lived in this house.
727 Anderson Street
The second church to be built in Grenfell was the St. Michael's All Anglican Church in 1885. The 40x24 foot church had its first addition in 1891 and its second addition in 1898.
723 Anderson Street
Percy Ellis was the heir to a large estate but unfortunately died of typhoid fever, upon his death Captain Ellis of London, England wished to leave a memorial in Percy's honour. Captain Ellis donated the funds to build a Parish Hall to add to the Anglican buildings. In 1904, the Hall was constructed and was to be known as the "Percy Ellis Memorial Hall".
Old School House
714 Anderson Street
This building educated children, served as a house of worship, a meeting place for the Masons, used for storage, and then a business. The building was built in 1888 and was originally the old school house. It was purchased in 1895 and relocated to its present location at 714 Anderson Street.
1103 Front Street
Another prominent structure on Front Street is the Masonic Hall, built in 1896 of grey and brown granite stone. The top floor of the Hall was devoted to the Lodge Room and the main level was used for all types of public gatherings with seating capacity of 600.
Dr. Bricker's House
716 Pheasant Street
Dr. Cal D. Bricker moved into this two-storey house, built in 1914. Dr. Bricker twice represented Canada in the Olympics and in 1956 was one of 65 Canadian athletes inducted into the Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
O.P. Skrine/Swindle House
722 Pheasant Street
Osmond Percie Skrine built this large gable, lap siding house in 1886. In 1919 the house was transformed into a nursing facility to treat flu patients; the home was later turned into a boarding house.
904 Wolseley Avenue
Harold and Sadie Spicer returned from England to build a house on the lot Harold had purchased in 1912. They financed the construction costs, and Dobson, the carpenter, built the large house in 1925.
804 Wolseley Avenue
Jas W. Brow built this home in 1915 with face brick veneer and a cottage style roof. The house was purchased in 1946 by the Hospital Guild, and officially opened its doors and operated as the Grenfell Hospital from May 30, 1946 until 1962.
Fitzgerald House (Adare Museum)
711 Wolseley Avenue
This three-storey house was built in 1904 by Mr. Edward Fitzgerald. Upon the death of one of the home's owners, the property was bequeathed to the Town of Grenfell for senior's housing, consequently the Grenfell Museum Association became the caretakers and opened the Grenfell Museum on July 6, 1973.
614 Wolseley Avenue
Hidden behind all the additions is the original house built in 1896 with cedar siding and gable style roof.
Dr. Bushe's House
711 Alice Street
This two-storey brick home was built in 1896 by Dr. Bushe.
709 Stella Street
Mr. Albert Moss built this house in 1904 and sold it to Mr. F.G. Miller Hunter who had worked with Mr. Moss prior to joining the army in 1915. This house was the Hunter family home from 1931 to 1971.
1006 Saskatchewan Avenue
Henry Peterson, brother of Dentist Dr. Peterson, built this house in 1882 of common brick veneer and with three bay windows.
United (Methodist) Church
513 Anderson Street
This grand house of worship was built in 1906 with a basement constructed from granite found in the neighbourood and the main structure made from brick, made by the Broadview Brick Company. The church reaches 48 feet high with the spire extending 75 into the air. On July 5, 1925, the Methodist Church was rededicated as the Grenfell United Church.
512 Anderson Street
This was the first church built in Grenfell, undertaken by the Presbyterian community in 1884. Constructed the same year as the train station and the first hotel, the Church was a small frame building with drop siding.
504 Anderson Street
After ten years of farming, Mr. George Powell moved into Grenfell and built this house in 1902. Renovations and additions to this fine house reflect the transitions and interests of the family who called it home from 1902-1997.
1008 Assiniboia Avenue
Benjamin Parkin Richardson came to Grenfell in 1883 to open a small Notary and Insurance business. He was elected to Legislative Assembly in 1888 as Conservative member. This home was built in 1898 and was home to the Richardson family.
502 Pheasant Street
This two-storey home was built in 1901 by Mr. R.B. Bennett.
806 Saskatchewan Avenue
Built in 1918, many couples were married in this house.
800 Assiniboia Avenue
Mr. John Hewitt kept the Tiree Post Office on his farm in the Qu'Appelle Valley in 1892. Upon selling his farm in the Valley, he and his family moved to this house in Grenfell which was built in 1903.
405 Stella Street
This building, originally located on Front Street between Claxton's and the Granite Hotel, was erected in 1927 and was the home to the Telephone Exchange.
400 Desmond Street
Built in 1910 with lap siding and a gable roof and wooden shingles, this was the home of James Geddes and family for a number of years. Mr. J. Geddes became one of the first elevator agents for Canadian Elevator in Grenfell.
St. Peter & St. Paul Greek Catholic Church
1404 Assiniboia Avenue
With the donation of a piece of land in 1920, a place of worship for the Ukrainian Catholics was constructed with lap siding and a gable roof.